When is it possible to change a child support order?

Divorce will bring significant changes to your life, and in many cases, these changes do not stop once the process is final. You may find that your financial situation also continues to change, and sometimes, that can make it difficult to abide by the terms of your final child support orders.

If you find you are no longer able to abide by the terms of your support order as you were in the past, you may be able to seek a modification to the order. Seeking a modification to a child support order in Arizona is not always easy to achieve, but you may find that it is possible to get the changes you need with support and guidance.

Answers to your modification questions

Seeking a modification involves more than just talking with the other parent about whether or not you may be able to pay less money for a period of time. Even a verbal agreement between two amicable parties is not enough to protect your interests in case of a future disputes. It is smart to seek a legal change to your support orders through the appropriate channels. 

If you need to change your child support order, you may not be certain where to begin or how to approach this issue. Some of the information you may need could include the following:

  • You may be able to seek a modification to your support order if you lost your job or are unable to make payments due to changes in your financial situation. You can also take action if your support order is unreasonable or unfair.
  • In order to request a modification, you will have to file paperwork with the appropriate court with agreed upon changes. If you and the other parent cannot agree, you will be able to present your case to the judge.
  • Depending on the nature of your situation, you may be able to seek either temporary or permanent changes to your support order. 

Before you move forward with this option, you may find it beneficial to seek an explanation of your legal concerns.

Guidance for your family law concerns

If you have family law concerns, you have the right to seek a reasonable outcome by seeking legal guidance and moving forward with the appropriate course of action. You may be dealing with the negative impact of changes in your financial circumstances, but you may find it useful to seek guidance regarding a potential modification.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Get In Touch

Request a meeting today – we can help you resolve your legal concerns

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Avvo | Clients' Choice | 2016  | Family Avvo Rating | Excellent | Featured Attorney | Family